Atlas North: A Tour through Portugal, Morocco, Tunisia, and Algeria
A review of Hasdrubal Thalassa & Spa Yasmine Hammamet for a weekend stay during a tour of Tunisia.
- Opulent 5 star property, rooms, and facilities.
- Immense and luxurious onsite spa with a large selection of treatments.
- Excellent professional and friendly staff throughout the resort.
- Beautiful outdoor pools.
- Located right on the beach with serviced beach area.
- Several onsite fine dining options.
When searching for a hotel in Tunisia, I focused on luxury and uniqueness. Wanting to relax during my stay, but still have an opportunity to visit the important sites, I decided on the Hammamet resort area.
With more an a dozen five star properties the competition is intense, but Hasdrubal remains the top ranked in Hammamet on tripadvisor. As one of the first luxury properties in Hammamet, the choice was clear.
On arrival at Tunis Carthage airport a professionally dressed chauffeur waited for me with a personalized sign. He led me to the slick black Mercedes for the drive to the hotel.
From the chaotic city center of Tunis, we soon arrived at calmer Hammamet.
A guard opened the front gate to reveal an impressive frontal view of the modern building with traditional touches of local architecture.
At the reception, the manager welcomed me and I sipped on a fresh juice as the reception process was underway.
I was then led to my beautiful suite with view of the pools and ocean. There was a large fruit basket and bottle of Tunisian wine to welcome me to the resort.
The hotel helped arrange some great day tours of Tunis, Carthage, Kairouan, and El Djem.
In the mornings I enjoyed the buffet breakfast and in the evenings I dined in the different restaurants.
I spent the last morning relaxing by the pool and exploring the beach.
Unfortunately I didn’t have time for a spa treatment.
Through conversation, I found that important politicians and celebrities (Antonio Banderas, Mariah Carey, etc) have all stayed here. Even Miss Belgium was here during my stay, though I did not see her.
Located right on the beach of the touristy Hammamet, the property is well situated for a peaceful and relaxing seaside stay. Walking distance from Yasmine’s new medina, shopping and nightlife is right around the corner.
Tunis, Carthage, and the main international airport are all about 45 minutes to an hour away by car.
One of the defining attributes of this resort is the attention and care from the entire staff. From the car service, front desk, restaurants, tours, and even cleaning staff, genuine smiles and a sense of responsibility helped create an atmosphere of quality throughout the property.
One of the highlights of the stay is feeling very welcome and being treated with the utmost respect at all times.
The grand Junior Suite consisted of a large bedroom with a huge bed, a seating area, flat screen TV, minibar, desk, and a balcony with seating area.
The hallway led to a room with a toilet and bidet. The bathroom was a marble clad with a separate bath and shower. A closet in the hallway contains the safe.
Wifi signal was excellent.
One detail I enjoyed was the songbird doorbell.
I also saw the Presidential Villa Salambô which holds the Guinness World Record for the largest single floor suite in the world by square footage. It has 5 ocean front suites, an indoor and outdoor pool, a large lounge, a dining room, kitchen, private car entrance, and even a spa with hammam.
- Spa: One of the main attractions of the resort is the large onsite spa. Tourists stay specifically for a quality spa experience.
- Pools and Beach: Hammamet is a place to relax, so enjoy the many pools or beach.
- Tours: With some of the most historic sites just a short drive away, don’t miss visiting the attractions which can be arranged by the hotel.
- Sports: Play tennis, go to the gym or enjoy a game of billiards.
- Golf: Golf can be arranged on one the nearby courses.
- Casino and Shopping: The new medina and marina of Yasmine offer shopping, dining, and even a casino.
There are several fine dining options at the resort as well as 24 hour room service.
- Le Gourmet: An international restaurant.
- Il Delfino – An Italian restaurant with pastas and mains.
- L’Olivier – This restaurant specializes in gourmet Tunisian cuisine.
- The Venus – A vegetarian option.
- Topaz – The main breakfast restaurant offers a international buffet with the inclusion of Tunisian delicacies.
- The Moorish Cafe – A gem of a cafe with live Tunisian music and hookahs (chichas).
- Bars – Several bars are located around the resort in the lobby, by the pools and on the beach. They are opened according to the season.
The Hasdrubal Thalassa & Spa Yasmine Hammamet is not simply a five star resort, but a true luxury hotel by international standards. With Tunisian ownership and management, the staff take pride in providing the best possible experience for their guests during their visit to Tunisia.
The property was also very well maintained with the pools and spa open even during the low season.
For the discerning traveler, Hasdrubal Thalassa & Spa is easily the best choice in Hammamet.
Hasdrubal Thalassa & Spa Yasmine Hammamet
Address: Zone Touristique Yasmine Hammamet B.P. N°04 – 8050 Hammamet, Tunisia
Phone: (216) 72 244 000