Four Countries in 2 Weeks: Turkey, Bangladesh, Bhutan, and India
A review of Suryagarh from my two night stay in Jaisalmer on my India trip!
- Extraordinary all around service excellence.
- Once-in-a-lifetime experiences in dining and activities.
- Beautiful, symmetrical and grand property.
- Luxurious rooms and amenities.
Originally I planned on staying a single night at Suryagarh, but I managed to rearrange my schedule to spend two. That was one of the best decisions I made. My experience at the hotel was one of the best in India.
The fort like grounds of the hotel is located in the middle of the desert on the main road to Jaisalmer town. It is a short drive to most tourist locations around Jaisalmer and downtown is only 15 minutes or so.
The isolation in the desert not only offers privacy and tranquility, but it adds to the unique charm.
Suryagarh easily offers some of the best service I’ve ever experienced not only in India, but in the world.
Every member of their staff seem to make it their personal goal to make sure each guest is well cared for. From simple small gestures, like a cleaner stopping a vacuum as you walk by to greet you good morning, to impressive concierge services, like securing a sold-out ticket, Suryagarh understands how to please guests.
What really inspired me was how each staff member was empowered and had the ability to make a positive impact on the guests. For example, a server would notice that a cup of coffee was sitting out and possibly not hot anymore, then exchange it for a fresh one,
It’s not just getting the details right, but it’s getting them right before the guest even notices.
The owners and managers are not only incredible hosts, but they also entertain their guests with old-world chivalry and class.
The difference between great service and excellent service is a fine line and I must commend the hotel team for aiming for and achieving service excellence.
I stayed in a Luxury Suite, which has a view of surrounding desert.
On entering the suite, there is a living room with seating area with a coffee table and a lounge chair. On the table were two letters, an invite to an evening show and a welcome note, both sealed with the stamp of the hotel. A powder room is attached. In the main bedroom a large plush bed faces a flatscreen TV on an antique cabinet.
The marbled bathroom is attached to the bedroom and is extremely large with two sinks, a full bath and separate glass shower.
Wifi throughout the area was very good.
In the morning I found a mat of fresh marigold petals laid outside my door. What a royal way to start the day.
The room was extravagant and comfortable.
Jaisalmer is no longer the destination. Suryagarh is.
After you settle into and explore the options of the hotel you may not want to leave the property, but there are sites in the surrounding areas.
- Excursions: The tourists destinations like Jaisalmer, Sam Sand Dunes, Gadsisar Lake, Desert National Park and Kuldhara are easily within reach and great itineraries can be organized by the hotel with private guides and drivers.
- Pool: The indoor indigo swimming pool, named Neel, is set right off the main courtyard. Secluded and private, go for a refreshing dip.
- Gym: Akhara is the fully equipped work out center for your stay.
- Spa: Rait is the luxurious onsite spa with a large selection of treatments performed by a skillful staff. I had the hot stone massage which really relaxed my muscles.
- Archery: A range located in the garden tests your skills with a bow and arrow.
- Billiards: Tash is the room with the professional billiards table and card playing area.
- Events/Conferences: The hotel has conference rooms and large halls to hold a variety of events, from corporate getaways to extravagant weddings.
- Performances: Look out for wonderful cultural performances around the property during your stay. The Rajasthani singers and dancers have a great evening show and a young magician can be found near the courtyard in the afternoon.
- Other Events: The hotel specializes in tailor made experiences to deliver what a guest may hope to see/do. See what is available during your stay by speaking to a staff member.
- Nosh – The main restaurant of the hotel offers food around the clock. The buffet breakfast is especially tasty with gourmet selections and fusion creations.
- Draksh – A sophisticated bar carrying a varied selection of drinks is right off the inner courtyard.
- The Legend of Marwad – This fine dining restaurant is open for dinner serving traditional Rajasthani cuisine. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to sample the dinner!
- Dining Experiences – Suryagarh offers several exclusive dining experiences. My favorite meal in India was a candle-lit dinner on the dunes on my last evening. I highly suggest you try one of the adventurous and unique Suryagarh options!
Jaisalmer would not have been the same without Suryagarh. The property became more of a highlight than the city I was visiting.
The hotel wields a certain magic to have one arrive as a guest and leave as a lifelong friend.
I definitely hope for a chance to visit again. Check it out for yourself to really understand what royal treatment feels like!