Leaving Bali with a Sunset in Uluwatu

Burmese Days and Indo Nights – Indonesia and Myanmar
Day 7: Last day in Bali. Activities included a massage at Puri Mangga, visiting Gitgit Waterfall, meeting a friend for lunch, visiting Uluwatu Temple, swimming at the surfing beach, and flying off to Malaysia.

With a lot of travel and sights to see, we had get an early start. We started with a quick breakfast followed by a Balinese massage at Puri Mangga.

We were served a thick ginger tea as our feet soaked in hot flower water, then we changed into a sarong. The massage beds had a view over the rain forest and sea… The masseuses worked their magic and gave one of the best massages I’ve had ever.

On the way back to the south, we stuck to the larger roads.

Gitgit Waterfall

Down the path, we got our tickets (30,000 rupiah) at the counter before walking further down to the waterfalls. Hurrying by the children and shops selling souvenirs, teas, and spices, we made it to the cool pool of the waterfall. Over the bridge and continuing down the path leads to views of a larger waterfall.

The drive south was quite beautiful via the mountain, lakes, villages, plantations, monkeys, and even police accompanying some kind of religious ceremony.

Denpasar was not as fun and we got stuck in a lot of traffic. Unfortunately we were quite late to meet up with our friend and had no way to contact him.

Ted is living and working in Bali now and he took us to a very local Balinese chicken curry restaurant. It was very spicy and flavorful. We caught up over some orange sodas and lunch. It was a brief but fun meet up!

Pura Luhur Uluwatu

We drove to the nearby temple in Kuta, parked, got tickets (50,000 rupiah) and went in. This attraction was packed with tourists wearing bright colored sarong rentals.

The path leads passed thieving monkeys to the sea temple right on the edge of the cliff. The temple was closed and not as impressive as the scenery. Following the walkway along the cliff leads to more fantastic scenery of the limestone walls that reminded me of the Cliffs of Moher.

After we explored the grounds and temple, we headed back to the car, avoiding the monkeys that were busy stealing glasses from a kid.

A short drive down the road is a world famous surfing beach, which is obvious by the number of board repair shops along the passage to the cave. A number of rustic and chic restaurants line the cliff’s edge overlooking the waves where locals and foreigners surf.

Walking down a steep flight of stairs carved into the rock, we found ourselves in a cave with one small beach and another large beach after crawling through a tight opening.

After a quick swim, we enjoyed the sunset before packing up to go to the airport!

Flight to Malaysia

Back at the airport, we returned the rental and went through security. We still had some time, so I got a snack in the Dewa Lounge as Christina went duty-free shopping.

Before we knew it, we were saying good bye to Indonesia and off on the next adventure!

We had a transfer Kuala Lumpur before Yangon, but found that the transfer desks were closed as it was already passed midnight. Since we had a 6 hour layover, we went through immigration and took a nap in the Plaza Premium Lounge.


About David

Founder and writer at World-Adventurer.com, David is on a mission to travel to every country in the world and has less than 10 countries left! He loves new adventures, unique cultures, historic landmarks, and luxurious hotels. Follow along as David shares a journey of a lifetime!