An experience and review of The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate where we stayed two nights during our tour of Bagan, Myanmar.
The luxurious property is aptly named due to its location right at Tharabha Gate, the only remaining entrance structure to the ancient city of Bagan. The hotel rooms are spread across the large garden centering on the restaurant and pool area.
As it is currently going through a renovation of the rooms, the hotel aims to place itself as the finest hotel in Bagan.
- Located right at the entrance of ancient Bagan, with all the main attractions a short walk or ride away.
- A haven of peace and comfort with a setting of music from local instruments.
- Excellent service and efficient concierge.
- Luxurious rooms and bathrooms.
We arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon and were met with a welcome drink and a cold towel. They found our reservation quickly and escorted us to our room. The lady introduced the room and the features.
Our arrival was obviously expected, as the room was cool with the air conditioning already on.
We organized our flights through the hotel and also receive helpful information on the best tour routes for our time in the city.
The details of adding fresh flowers and the bathrobes to the bed highlighted the turndown service.
The buffet breakfast the next day offered a nice selection of local specialties and western fare.
We had time to relax and swim in the pool after a day of touring which was very comfortable.
Attentive servers came by for beverage and food orders and would serve the food at your lounge chairs.
In the evening musicians chimed on local instruments to provide a calm, yet fun atmosphere as guests dined in the restaurant or had a drink at the poolside bar.
Even when it rained, the open air restaurant was transformed into a gathering point, so that guests could still sit around and recount the sights of the day.
Very centrally located, all sights are a short distance away and the airport is only 15 minutes or so by car. Walk into the ancient Bagan center all the way to the Ayeyarwady River or stroll over to the nearby restaurants and shops outside of the gate.
The hotel has a total of 83 rooms including 4 suites, with some specially made to be wheelchair accessible. The room are set around a path in the garden and each have private terraces with lounge chairs.
The rooms themselves have high ceilings, teak floors and local Burmese furniture. They are outfitted with all modern luxuries like air-conditioning, wifi (signal strongest in the lobby), telephones, and flat screen televisions. They also have mini fridges and safes.
The bathrooms are classically designed with bath and shower around wooden counters and walls.
Friendly staff around the property are available to address guests’ needs. The servers in the restaurant and pool area were professional and the concierge were efficient in booking tickets and patient in giving tour ideas.
- Touring: Most guests are here to tour Bagan which is easily accessible from the hotel.
- Arranged Tours: The hotel can arrange tailored tours of the ruins with different modes of transportation (car, horse cart, bicycle, etc.)
- Balloons Over Bagan: There is a hot-air balloon ride with views of Bagan that can be arranged as well.
- Boat ride: A sunset boat ride is another option.
- Spa is available onsite, though we did not have time to try it.
- Main Restaurant: The hotel’s primary restaurant is right next to the lobby and serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In the evening the fine dining offers Burmese, European and Asian Cuisine. A private candle-lit dinner is a romantic option available if requested.
- Poolside and Room Service: There is food and drink service by the pool and of course, room service.
The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate stands out as a fine luxury experience for travelers in Bagan. Both family friendly and suitable for couples or singles, the property offers a tranquil and green atmosphere with lush gardens and a long outdoor swimming pool. As there is not much in terms of nightlife in Bagan, the evenings at the hotel are lively with music from native instruments.
Overall, we had a wonderful stay and would highly recommend the hotel to any traveler!